British Food of the Day Volume I
Monday: steak and kidney pie.
Your choice of potato chip flavors from the vending machine:
- Roast Chicken
- Crispy Bacon
- Spiced Chili
- Cheese & Onion
- Grilled Steak
Apparently they don't make the prawn flavored crisps anymore.
Update: saw the prawn flavored crisps, and many other disgusting flavors, at a food co-op.
Wednesday: "Sausagemeat and pickle plait with English mustard."
And for dessert? Yes, it's "spotted dick!"
Thursday: Pork steak fried in bread crumbs, topped with a fried egg.
Honorable mention: the list of ingredients at Pizza Hut includes the usuals, plus:
- sweet corn
Friday: Vegimince spaghetti with bolognese sauce.
This was actually more innocent than it sounds.
Monday: Cauliflower cooked in cheese sauce, topped with cheddar cheese.
Why don't they like fluoride as much as they like cheese?
Tuesday: Faggots immersed in a carmelised onion gravy with mushy peas.
Wednesday: Mexican beef chili over fried rice.
The "fried rice" is white rice with peas, corn, and slimy scrambled eggs. It's not even fried.
Thursday: Vegetarian toad in the hole.
Friday: Homemade pork burger.
I'm not sure at whose home this was made.
It looked like what I imagine the squid burgers in "The Shipping News" to look like.
Monday: Nothing gross. It's been a good food day!
Instead, I present a few of the cities I drove through as I made my way through Wales this weekend:
- Mold Yr Wyddgryg
- Pont Cyfyng
- Boot End
Wednesday: Pizza: cheese, sauce, and shredded pork.
Tuesday: Wild bear.
I ate dinner at The Three Crowns.
Not only do they serve venison and crocodile, but ostrich and wild bear as well. I had a steak (beef steak).
Thursday: Chicken massala and rice pilaf.
Again, normal rice posing as something special. The only bad part about the meal is that, like most things in the Motorola "canteen" here, it tasted like it came from a can.
By the way, this is one of the few BFoTDs that I've actually eaten.
- International incidents: 0
- Severe breaches of Motorola computer security, bringing in the "cyberpolice": 3
- Computers confiscated: 1
- Cultural misunderstandings: 0
- People I couldn't understand at all: 4
- Car accidents: 0
- Driving mistakes: 1
- Bathroom gender mistakes: 1
- Meals from Pizza Hut: 2
- Meals from TGI Fridays: 1 (both are right next to my hotel)
- Meals from Burger King: 5
- Meals with seemingly raw chicken: 1
- Indian dinners: 6
- Dishes consisting primarily of potatoes consumed: 10
- Potato dishes consumed today: 2
- Dinners that completely avoided British cuisine: 17
- Number of routes I've found to Motorola factory without a map: 2
- Number of times I've been called "my love" by a cafeteria cashier: 10
- Number of times I've heard the John Peel show: 3
- Way, way..
- Fancy a kick?
- He does
- Find the spooky guy in the photo
- "We should call Randy, he's always fun to hang out with"
- Warning signs
- Tube to the tube
- Westminster station
- SMS via ad light
Updated November 19, 2002
Copyright © 1994-2008 Randall Darden, All Rights Reserved.